Help | Search | Members | Contest Calendar | Chat

Robot Battle Registry  Discussion Forums  Off Topic  My Major Project

My Major Project Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic 
MrFox
Posted: Jul 12 2011, 07:06 PM

Tactical Engineer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 27

Well folks, in about 10 days I will be officially launching the project I have been banging on the keyboard for over the last year and a half. I'm calling this a public alpha test since it is not the full fledged site quite yet. However, there is enough of the engine to demonstrate it's capabiities.

Background:
Over the last 10 years or so I have been building my own personal computers from parts purchased online - mainly from NewEgg.com. I would spend up to an hour or even longer milling through the parts and selecting things I am interested and finalizing my list. Often, through small oversights I would miss something, like I forgot RAM, or the RAM I selected was not compatible with the mother board. I would occasionaly run into other small issues as well; each taking time to replace the undesireable part. So, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be cool if there was a program or website that would validate parts as you select them and indicate that they are or are not compatible with what has already been selected?

I don't claim that this is a new idea, as I have seen threads and posts on forums of people attempting to do just that. But they often consisted of extensive criss-cross referenced databases listing "this part" is compatible with "that part"; ad infinitum. I wanted something more robust. Something that "literally" attempted to connect each part to its host component by checking interfaces and system requirements. I knew this was not going to be eay, or if I would ever have the skills to pull it off. I began the idea about 5 years ago; and began writing code only 18 months ago. That should give you an idea of the learning curve I had to oversome to venture into this project.

While researching the "how" I continued to scour the internet for such a program so as to not waste my time. I never found one; much to my surprise, and elation. I only found several failed attempts and dead threads on the subject.

Now, I am happy to announce that I did it. I pulled it off. The site is called GooeyPC.com. The official launch date is July 22nd and it will have the following capabilities on launch day.

-Users can input a list of MFG model numbers for as few as 2 computer parts or an entire system. GooeyPC.com will programatically validate the compatibility of all parts in the list.
    -The Gooey Specs page will list each part, their specs, and compatibility status with the system.
    -The specs page will also provide the reason(s) why a part is found to be incompatible or is otherwise unable to connect due to lack of open compatible interfaces, failure to meet the minimum requirements of -the host part, or host part(s) fail to meet minimum requirements of the part being connect.
    -If a selected part is not in the database, the site will search select online vendors for the part, add it to the database, and then attempt to connect it.

Another feature that it will have on launch day, and will remain available only in the alpha phase is the ability to accept a "wish list" link from select vendors (currently only NewEgg, but I will be adding more later) and perform all of the functions I just listed.

The site "Under Construction" is live now, and being submitted to search engines this very moment. I've created a Facebook page too of course.

The current functions I've listed, with the exception of the "wish list" recognition, are intended to always be free. I have other plans for the wish lists.
Please go to the site on launch day (22 July 2011), kick the tires, join the Facebook page, and tell me what you think!

This post has been edited by MrFox on Jul 12 2011, 07:10 PM

--------------------
"Life is inevitable."
Me

See profile for Authored Robots and Contest Standings.
Robots(7): Lunatic Frenzy, JAM, ittyBot, ZenBot,
ZenBittyBot,RadFly,Omni

Silicon
Posted: Jul 12 2011, 07:20 PM

Grand Master

Member No.: 44

Sounds wonderful, Fox! I'd use that!

MrFox
Posted: Jul 12 2011, 07:26 PM

Tactical Engineer

QUOTE (Silicon @ Jul 12 2011, 07:20 PM)
Sounds wonderful, Fox! I'd use that!

Sweet! I love a positive outlook! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Life is inevitable."
Me

ZenBittyBot,RadFly,Omni

chess123mate
Posted: Jul 15 2011, 12:17 PM

Logical Programmer

Group: Members
Member No.: 936

Congratulations on such a large accomplishment! =D

steJ
Posted: Jul 17 2011, 02:42 PM

Tiny Bot Obsessive

Member No.: 9

Kudos!

Now thats done you can get back to RB tongue.gif

--------------------
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
SteJ

MrFox
Posted: Jul 17 2011, 03:33 PM

Tactical Engineer

QUOTE (steJ @ Jul 17 2011, 02:42 PM)
Kudos!

Now thats done you can get back to RB tongue.gif

hehe, done? It's just begining! wink.gif

Knowing what I've learned over the last 18+ months, I'm sure I could make a much better RppEdit editor.

--------------------
"Life is inevitable."
Me

ZenBittyBot,RadFly,Omni

MrFox
Posted: Aug 9 2011, 09:39 PM

Tactical Engineer

Hey folks, the site is live. Please click on its FB Like button on the site if you like it.

GooeyPC.com

It has its issue, but it IS a public alpha release. I think considering its issues, you may still be impressed.

Format of the compatibility results is as follows...

Part list source: (url, page text, or mfg modle number list)

Raw Specs: CPU, RAM, VRAM, HD Cap, etc. no brands, just raw specs.

Parts Not Found: If a part is not found it will be listed here.

Parts Not Connected: If a part cannot connect, it will be listed here with a reason why preceded by an error> tag.

Parts Connected: What we all want to see. If a part is listed here, it is compatible with the system; barring any conflicts with any listed note> tags.

If you like it, please click the FB Like button on the site, and by all means, let me know what you think here, or on FB

This post has been edited by MrFox on Aug 9 2011, 09:39 PM

--------------------
"Life is inevitable."
Me

ZenBittyBot,RadFly,Omni

MrFox
Posted: Sep 25 2011, 09:04 AM

Tactical Engineer

Starting to get a small amount of external traffic (taking into account robots).

The beta phase has been going a little slowly due to work, however, things are coming along nicely.

What will be available in Beta?

User Accounts - very basic for now. Mainly to keep interested parties aprised of the progress, and to allow saving of Projects.

GUI: Yep, the namesake of the site will have its initial version up at Beta launch! This is the most exciting part of the whole project, and the prize I have had my eyes on over the last nearly 2 years. Users at GooeyPC will be able to graphically build their Rig online. Initially we wil lbe using place holder images with generic graphics for the parts, however, over time, we will be using real images of the parts. The first iteration will be iconic to get the functions and databound items smoothed out. After that, it will be a 2D interactive layout of the computer you are building showing the back, side and front of the computer and all of its installed components and interfaces.

We are looking at maybe 2-3 months for the Beta release. Maybe sooner.

More to come! w00t.gif

--------------------
"Life is inevitable."
Me

ZenBittyBot,RadFly,Omni

<< Back to Off Topic