Help | Search | Members | Contest Calendar | Chat

Robot Battle Registry  Discussion Forums  Suggestions  Graphs

Graphs Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic 
steJ
Posted: Jun 6 2007, 12:24 PM

Tiny Bot Obsessive

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 9

Would it be possible in the current build of RB to display a graph displaying the points of all the robots in a match versus the game numbers. In that way you could see if one bot races ahead early on only to fall by the wayside earlier on or if they are a constanat performer over all. Might be interesting for development areas to see if your bot is weak at the start but strong at the end etc.

If this would be possible in the current build i would like to see it implemented.

Posibilites also for other graphs based on the statistics variables such as damage done and kills to.

Possible problems, large data base for storing data to converty to graph could cause problem.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
SteJ

tomash
Posted: Jun 6 2007, 01:00 PM

Grand Master

Member No.: 441

Yes - R. Ich wrote some utilities for RB in R, so I think you could use R for graphs. I believe it is a statistical programming language, and so may be what you are looking for!

steJ
Posted: Jun 6 2007, 01:10 PM

Tiny Bot Obsessive

I guess you could possibly do it afterwards in a seperate package but i was hoping for a dynamic graph that draws as the match progresses in a similar way to the scores and places updates after every game integrated into the program.

--------------------
SteJ

Ichabod
Posted: Jun 6 2007, 01:45 PM

Grand Vizier

Group: Contest Hosts
Member No.: 700

I'm not sure it would even be possible with my programs. I'm not sure how you would get the data to the program. It's not in the log or stats file, so you would need to reprogram the robots to print it, and then output the print logs, and write something to read that. Unless Robot Battle has ActiveX controls, but I don't think it does. Not that I really understand ActiveX controls, but I did read up on them some in one of my Python books.

--------------------
-Ichabod
Nils illegitimo carborundum

QUOTE (Cho Setsu)
By eliminating disturbances, we redouble the disease.

131,628,711 robots killed in the name of simulation

chess123mate
Posted: Jun 6 2007, 02:55 PM

Logical Programmer

Group: Members
Member No.: 936

I guess that's another idea to add to the vanilla RB!
It's an awesome idea!

brad
Posted: Jun 9 2007, 10:06 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Its a good idea and certainly possible, but I won't have time for new RB features for a while. If anyone else wants to add features, remember that you can get the code and just do it. I'd be happy to add well written features back to the main code base.

chess123mate
Posted: Jun 9 2007, 11:39 AM

Logical Programmer

If anyone else wants to add features, remember that you can get the code and just do it.

I'm glad you said that, Brad! Thanks - I've been wanting to know if I could do that. I'm not an expert at C++ - rather I don't know a thing about it, but I can learn... I'm hoping to help out in that area. I assume we then e-mail you any of that code we believe could/should be added to you for checking it works OK?

steJ
Posted: Jun 13 2007, 12:22 PM

Tiny Bot Obsessive

Seeing as im learning to program in SAS, VB and also learning about just about every Excel function under the sun ( The Joys of becomming an actuary) Im curious if this alleged free copy of C++ (Clicky clicky)
Will enable me to have a tinker with the RB code and maybe make my graphs a reality (along with possibly a handicapping system for energy start values)

Quick yay or nay from anyone in the know about if it will work

--------------------
SteJ

tomash
Posted: Jun 13 2007, 12:27 PM

Grand Master

Stej - I'm trying to get it to work with that program (clicky clicky) but it crashes my computer because I have no space left wink.gif. I think it does work, yes, but you have to convert the source to a VS 2005 Express file - it can't use the original. In fact - I think I'll have a(nother) go now!

chess123mate
Posted: Jun 13 2007, 01:12 PM

Logical Programmer

I have Visual Basic Beta Professional Version on my computer, so I'm learning that very well. Since it is from Microsoft, I'd suggest that C++ Version would work pretty good (with RB code), and so I'd say - go for it! I'm not going to be able to help out on programming for a while. I seriously want to, but I truly don't know enough C++, just Visual Basic (which is 1000x easier and more efficient).

Try it, and tell us what happens! wink.gif

Ichabod
Posted: Jun 13 2007, 03:45 PM

Grand Vizier

QUOTE (steJ @ Jun 13 2007, 02:22 PM)
Seeing as im learning to program in SAS

You have my sympathy.

--------------------
-Ichabod

QUOTE (Cho Setsu)

tomash
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 10:57 AM

Grand Master

Unfortunately, the Rb source crashes my computer due to a, IntelliSense update error, as far as I can tell! I'm gonna try and find something that converts Vis C++ 7.1 files to Dev C++ files - my fave compiler!

Ichabod
Posted: Jun 14 2007, 11:03 AM

Grand Vizier

QUOTE (tomash @ Jun 14 2007, 12:57 PM)
Unfortunately, the Rb source crashes my computer due to a, IntelliSense update error, as far as I can tell! I'm gonna try and find something that converts Vis C++ 7.1 files to Dev C++ files - my fave compiler!

Mine too. If you find something, let me know. I downloaded the source files but haven't had time to even glance at them yet.

--------------------
-Ichabod

QUOTE (Cho Setsu)

horaizon
Posted: Oct 11 2011, 01:02 AM

Group: Just Joined
Member No.: 1681

QUOTE (steJ @ Jun 6 2007, 02:24 PM)
Would it be possible in the current build of RB to display a graph displaying the points of all the robots in a match versus the game numbers. In that way you could see if one bot races ahead early on only to fall by the wayside earlier on or if they are a constanat performer over all. Might be interesting for development areas to see if your bot is weak at the start but strong at the end etc.

If this would be possible in the current build i would like to see it implemented.

Posibilites also for other graphs based on the statistics variables such as damage done and kills to.

Possible problems, large data base for storing data to converty to graph could cause problem.

Any thoughts?

wink.gif ahh

<< Back to Suggestions