Robot Battle Home Log In | Register
Welcome Guest
Help | Search | Members | Contest Calendar | Chat

Robot Battle Registry  Announcements  News  Robot Battle Still Going Strong

Robot Battle Still Going Strong Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic 
steJ
Posted: May 26 2007, 02:24 AM

Tiny Bot Obsessive

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 9

Robot Battle is still going strong after all these years! Numerous contests are on the Horizon with the Flag bot Contest and the ongoing Rally Cup Contest to name but a few.

The Registry itself has grown now to an impressive 900+ members!

--------------------
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
SteJ

tomash
Posted: May 27 2007, 12:28 PM

Grand Master

Member No.: 441

I have to say, though, how much is happening on the development front? Nada! I'm trying to convert the Visual Studio project i to a Dev C++ project, but I'm not at home now so not much is happening now. I'm gonna try and modify little things and then see what happens!

chess123mate
Posted: May 28 2007, 11:05 AM

Logical Programmer

Group: Members
Member No.: 936

So you are doing all the new development things -- which are in Vanilla, etc.? Or is silicon doing that (or someone else, I just think I remember something about silicon doing that programming) and you something else?

tomash
Posted: May 28 2007, 11:17 AM

Grand Master

Well not officially, but if no one else is! Silicon hasnt posted for ages, so I doubt he's still doing it - brad is rarely seen, and only then administer permissions etc, so I guess I am the only one. If anyone else is, please tell me!

chess123mate
Posted: May 28 2007, 11:22 AM

Logical Programmer

Hey - I've got Dev - C++ ! Is that the language RB is programmed in?
Now, just 'cause I have it doesn't mean I understand how to program it in. If you'd like help, I'D LOVE TO HELP! -- But I need to know more about C++. I know QBasic, Visual Basic (2005 Express Edition), but I'm not too good with C++. I've tried, but I can't figure out how to do graphics, and I haven't tried doing it in years - anywhere you can point me to for C++ WITH GRAPHICS and it would be greatly appreciated.

tomash
Posted: May 29 2007, 12:20 PM

Grand Master

C++ is the language RB was made in, but it was made a a solution file for a nigh defunct compiler (MS Visual C++ 7.1 i think?). So what I'm gonna do is make tiny, tiny adjustments until I break it, and then see what I did wrong etc. Then add stuff!

My C++ is OK. I hardly ever use it, but I know alot in the back of my head that I never use. I just need a book on it to help me wink.gif!!!

chess123mate
Posted: May 29 2007, 12:36 PM

Logical Programmer

Where could I get a hold of the code RB was made with?
I agree Tomash, a book is definitely the way to go biggrin.gif

Ichabod
Posted: May 29 2007, 02:41 PM

Grand Vizier

Group: Contest Hosts
Member No.: 700

When I did a refresher on C++ recently I got Accelerated C++ by Koenig and Moo. That's good, but I don't think it has anything on graphics. Avoid the Visual Quickstart Guide to C++ Programming. It sucks. I usually like O'Reilly Publishing books, but I haven't read any of their C++ books, except for their pocket reference guides, which tend to be handy.

I'd join in on messing with the RB code, but I have too much else on my plate these days.

--------------------
-Ichabod
Nils illegitimo carborundum

QUOTE (Cho Setsu)
By eliminating disturbances, we redouble the disease.

131,628,711 robots killed in the name of simulation

tomash
Posted: May 30 2007, 12:06 AM

Grand Master

Here is how to get the code RB Dev

chess123mate
Posted: May 30 2007, 03:15 AM

Logical Programmer

I found some code, (and am amazed at how much there is), but how is the copyright and downloading and modifying all working? I read something about having to e-mail brad for the ability to download and change the code...?
Or can I simply read it, copy it, change it, ....?

tomash
Posted: May 31 2007, 01:44 AM

Grand Master

You can do what you like with it, but you cant put it back, basically. So you can modify it and compile it etc on your computer but not put it back on the web for others to download!

chess123mate
Posted: May 31 2007, 11:52 AM

Logical Programmer

But if you (and maybe me or anyone else) programmed something that incorporated the Vanilla stuff, would there be some way of making an agreement as it being version 2 or something (talk with Brad about it)? I'm simply asking because I don't want to get started on it to find out that everything I've looked at, changed, etc. can't ever be used by anyone else.

<< Back to News